Saturday, November 13, 2010

Korea Life Blog 10 -- Thinking in Type...

Wow... still alive by the way. Maybe.

Life in Korea... no idea. Life at my work is...

I still need to finish my TEFL... I think once I do that, I can just rest everyday, after yoga of course ;). I found a great Hot Yoga class nearby and go about twice a week. I managed to get a language partner and ditch him all in one month. Seemed like a nice guy, but to out to be a jerk with a huge ego. Somehow, they are just the easiest to find. I managed to insult him, but not sure I cared. I don't have time to flatter other people and their egos.

 My friends in Korea are all too far to see during the week when I need them, and on the weekends I just want to rest or go somewhere scenic... unfortunately it's the only time I can see them T.T
I need rest time...

So recently I've been job hunting online for Japan. Looking for a chance to run away. I was completely serious about it too.... but now I'm reconsidering.... I really don't see the point in getting my BA... I'm still not qualified to have a decent job anywhere.

If I want to find a job straight out of Korea, then the best hiring times are about 2 months before my contract is up. However, since I can't interview in the US, they would be jobs where I need to find my own housing... which means money. I'll have money, if I could stay with friends it might even work out... but there still aren't a lot of work options for me, since I don't have a degree in Education. Even when I do finish the TEFL, it's not the same...

I decided against grad school. If I wanted to teach forever it would be fine and it would pay off in a few years... as long as I didn't want to save money, have a life outside of work, and never had children. However, since that doesn't sound appealing to me, it is therefore not worth it. If nothing else, I would like to save money, instead of going further into debt by about 40 grand in a year.

So without the degree the best option is....?

So the original point of signing my crappy contract was to start making money, be able to keep making loan payments, get experience, and save for Japan.
So I need to keep this in mind.

If I just survive this job... If I do, I'll have a year of experience teaching ESL and my TEFL. I'll also be able to save a decent amount of money to have a good start in Japan... the problem will be getting there...
Originally, I thought it would be best to go straight from here... but now I'm not sure.

If I want to go straight from here, then I will run into the same problem whether I leave early or not.
Rent money. I will have to get a job that leaves me to find my own housing which requires time and a lot of money.

The main issue being, getting the job....

I was thinking that if I just survive the contract, they will pay my ticket home, and I can reapply to AEON before then and have the interview when I get home. If it goes well, then it's a good starter job and gives me a place to live. After I finish that contract, then I will already be there and have a work visa so I'll be able to find a good job more easily, and housing if I need.... But, if the interviews don't go well... Grad school is still an option--even if not an ideal one.

No comments:

Post a Comment