Friday, July 30, 2010

Korea Life Blog 7 -- Bicycle and Nami-sum

So, I haven't really posted because this week is my vacation!!! Unfortunately it's almost over T_T
However, what looked like a horribly long week of doing nothing turned into an eventful, fun, and restful week~!

Last Saturday I went with my 'little sister' and saw Inception. My first movie in Korea... with assigned seating like Japan -_-. But it was fun, and the movie was really good! I actually liked it, which I didn't expect. It's been so long since Leo was in a good movie. Not since, Catch Me if you Can.
Then we had dinner and walked about talking and enjoying the decent weather (which at this time of year decent weather is good weather).

Then came Sunday... I planned to go buy a bike, but instead was stuck inside all day. However, I was able to be helpful. I helped my friend to edit her thesis paper for school and learned a little more about world events in the process. Editing is almost always rewarding in terms of gaining knowledge. :)

On Monday, I headed to Yatap and Home Plus looking for a bike. Sadly, there were no bikes to be seen. So I got on the train to go to Ori, because there are more big supermarkets there (E-mart, Home Plus, Hi Mart... they are the "big" ones). However, since it was vacation and I shouldn't be in a hurry, I decided to stay on to the last stop, Bojeong, and explore a bit. Then, at the stop before--Jukjeon, the train came above ground and lo-and-behold, there was an E-mart staring me in the face. It drew me in! So I got off the train and went to check it out.
After searching floor after floor, I finally came up the grand 'escalator' (I say this because instead of steps, it is a flat ramp escalator) and found... BIKES!!! It was bike heaven.

I searched up and down the bikes and was torn... they were SO expensive!!! The cheapest bike was 170,000 won (about $150~170). I was looking between a nice, but too girly, bike with a large basket on the front and a small compact foldable bike. Unfortunately the foldable one was 100,000 won more.... But it can be compact and convenient (and I could take it home and to Japan when I run away). So I almost paid the almost $300 for it, but then! Pure luck (or just me being a cheapskate) led me to look over the bikes again and there it was! A nice mountain bike that was only 170,000 (same as the basket bike--and the cheapest price), and what do you know, on further inspection it turned out to be a foldable one!!!!
So to my great pleasure I was able to buy a "cheap" foldable bike that I could actually fit inside my apartment~
I got it home where I was able to sit down and make needed adjustments to height (which I am SO happy to find out that it's made so I don't need a tool kit just to adjust the seat!) Then I took it out for a little over an hour and realized... it's been so long since I was on a bike! haha


Tuesday I took out my bike for a good 3 hours. Rode down to Ori and enjoyed the scenic path by the river.
On my way home I took a little detour and saw a white girl, so I pounced! haha
"Hey white person, where you from?" --my trademark line here~


So I was able to make a new friend! She is Canadian and seems pretty cool. We went to dinner together and talked for a few hours. I showed her my apartment and she showed hers, which is an AWESOME loft apartment! Of which I am completely jealous! (She also has a real shower T_T)

Wednesday I took a day trip, my island adventure, with my 'little sister'. We went to
Nami-sum. It's an "island" in the middle of a lake, so no ocean for me still~ :(
But it was SO much FUN!!!!! OMG. I don't know how I convinced myself to leave.

We took a bus, a train, a taxi, and a ferry and finally reached the island. Then we walked about looking for the bike shop. We rented bikes for an hour and rode around the island a couple of times. It was so exhilarating! My little sister isn't used to bikes, so she had a little trouble sometimes, but she seemed to really enjoy it too. Then when our hour was up, we walked about looking at all the places we'd seen, taking pictures and playing in the water.


Then around 4 we decided to look for the pool again and go swimming. We found it about 45 minutes later and many circles! haha
But before that my little sister let 3 bees commit suicide on her leg. It was painful for her, and probably for the bees. I checked for stingers but she was good. And luckily after swimming for an hour, the bumps were gone and there were only 3 small pink dots.
When we got to the pool there was one hour left, so we had to hurry, but it was a good long swim. The lifeguards were also very nice and amusing. They kept talking to me and my sis. Asking where we are from and how we met and what I do. I don't know why he kept talking to me even when he knew I didn't understand.... and it was weird, because he was a young guy... in a SPEDO! I didn't want to look at him! haha. But he kept going to get us toys, he brought us a beach ball and an extra floaty to use (even though normally you have to pay to rent them). So it was too fun~!!!
After that we were exhausted, so we left the island and found some food. Unfortunately I didn't want to try the spicy chicken, so we ate pork (but since the special there was chicken...) it was horribly tough and tasteless. Luckily, we were hungry. So we ate it.
Then back home.
I was going to sleep, but my friend called me back around 12-1, so I talked to her until 2, but it was too much for me.

Yesterday I was exhausted. I got up in the morning, but I went back to sleep about an hour later and slept until 2pm. I wasn't sure I would go out, but around 6 I was bored. So I got ready and took my bike out at 7pm and didn't make it back until 9.
I rode up to Yatap, which took less than 30 minutes, but it took me forever to get back ;_; haha
However, due to a detour, I made another friend. I did my "Hey white girl" line and stopped someone who just happens to be a friend of a friend, so I already know a little about her. And we made plans for a coffee date later today.
When I got home I made weekend plans with my Daejeon girl and her sis, so it should be a good end of vacation.

In the meantime, my butt is killing me. I'm convinced there is a bruise where the bike seat has been. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment