Sunday, July 11, 2010

Korea Life Blog 6 -- Insa-dong and Baseball

I realize I am late and early with this post. Late because I didn't post last weekend (since I've been posting one a week) and early because it's not Sunday yet. ;)

Anyways, it has been interesting. On Friday the 2nd, I woke up at about 1 am coughing and with a swollen throat. I barely made it through work and then dinner with my friend without passing out, but somehow I managed to make it home. My tonsils have been swollen since, and though I know I should go to a doctor, I am reluctant. I hate doctors when I speak the same, or basically the same, language as them. I am wary of going to a Korean doctor. In the meantime, I have learned from my friend that one of the worst things you can get here is tonsillitis, it is apparently much worse here. As it is the first time for me to have it, I will just believe her.

In the meantime, I've been busy despite my discomfort.

Last Saturday, my friend came from Daejeon and, with a new Korean friend I made last week, we toured her around Seoul before bringing her back to enjoy Jeongja at night. I walked her butt off as is my way~ :)


On Sunday, I saw her off again and continued to Seoul where I finally made it to Insa-dong, a nice traditional area (and tourist trap) in Seoul. It was very nice. I was able to buy some fun things to send home (should I ever make it to the post office).

I had some lovely and somewhat odd tea in a nice cafe with friends and enjoyed it immensely. The cafe was really lovely and the tea came out looking very decorative, so I took pictures~








Then I was taken to the stadium to watch my friends favorite team, the Twins, play some baseball! I even bought a baseball jersey to get in the mood! haha (so not me!)


The game, however, was rained out, and we lost.... very, very badly.
So then we went to an amazingly cheap place to eat some cold noodles, which are lovely too.

Then another week of teaching and.... DRAMAS! I have been spending my free time in the week watching Korean dramas and movies for amusement. They are rather funny.

Today I was supposed to meet someone... I went to Seoul (Coex) to meet them. I left early out of boredom and spent some time wandering on my own waiting. Luckily, Stefanie called me, about five minutes before I got a text that told me my plans had been cancelled.... she came over and we did some shopping.

Oddly, I spent a lot of money (a LOT) but I am happy with all my purchases.

I bought two books and a nice map of Korea to look at for plotting evil deeds... or just trips. I bought "The Little Prince" because I have never actually read it and it seems I should, and "Daddy-Long-Legs" which I have read as a Korean manga, watched as a Korean movie, and will probably watch as a Korean drama. I had no idea it wasn't a Korean story... Mind you, I started it on the train and I didn't think I would ever detach myself from it.... it took strength. It has also taken a good deal of willpower not to pick it up again tonight. I find I am enjoying the original even more, and I rather liked the take-offs. I forgot how happy a good book could make me!

I also bought a CD. Though I went in looking for new Korean music to 'study' from, the CD I wanted was sold out.... so I bought a Japanese CD. "I Am Me" Matsushita Yuuya. A very good buy oddly. I bought it because he is a cute boy and looks like a young Gackt... I was wondering if it was a good idea, but once I put it in the computer... I haven't stopped listening to it! He is a good singer. I'm very happy.

I also went clothes shopping. I went to the sales and got about 5-6 new summer shirts! I know, imagine finding clothes that fit in Korea! Though jeans are likely impossible, they do have a lot of "one-size" shirts. I didn't really think I would like them, but I got some.

Strangely, I like them all, and I am glad I bought them. It was apparently a great day for shopping for me! However, I need to start watching my money more. I have been keeping track of all my purchases and I am spending too much. However, much of it is just settling down stuff or souvenirs to send home, so it should be fine.

I will get paid next Monday and need to send half my paycheck home to pay on my loans, but it does seem to be an easy living here. Even if food is over-priced! :-p

I really love my town.

It's weird. Though I may never be happy with any job, since it is too easy to find fault when I have to deal with other people.... but I like my apartment, I like my students (usually), and I LOVE this town!!!

But no, I am not homesick. I cannot imagine missing Indiana when I have mountains and oceans within just a few hours ride. A cheap ride on the trains and/or buses, where I don't have to drive or be bothered with road rage, is nice. All in all, the children stress me out, and sometimes the boss, but I can always go home and just... relax.

I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment