Friday, November 16, 2012

Pre-Departure

Exactly three weeks from today, I will be getting on a plane and started the day long trek to Japan! I don't really like flying, and have trouble sleeping on planes, so let's hope that the Sandman can find me this time~~~
Once I get to this point I am always worried I'm forgetting something. The things I use to keep me together are lists! If you search "packing lists", even adding international, on Google you can find some very useful things. Most lists are made for people who are permanently moving their families abroad. While you may not find that useful, it is. Just copy/paste it into word and take out what you don't need, and change what you do. Even the most thorough self-planner would do well to look at some example lists and make sure there isn't anything they've forgotten. There are even some that are sorted out from 90 days before departure to 60, 30, and so on. This is great for those things that you don't want to forget to do and either leave undone or do in a last minute rush.
LISTS! They are your friend. :)

At this point, the only things I need for my trip are new jeans! I lost weight and have been trying to lose more, so I've been putting this off, but it's my Thanksgiving Break plan. Otherwise, I've got/done everything important. I've given early notice at work, notified my bank of the move, and gathered/pre-packed most of my things to make sure they will fit within the weight limit.
Sometimes people think I'm crazy for starting to pack more than a month before the trip, but for me it's just the process. Apparently I have more junk than I think, so I like to start packing early to slowly start trickling out the things that I don't want/need. Even if you don't have much stuff, I recommend starting to pack at least a week before. This way, you have time to make sure you have everything together, know what you are still using that needs to be packed, make sure everything fits under the weight limit, and make sure you have everything in the right bags (like extra clothes in your carry-on should your bags get delayed).

Also, you should have already begun a study/review of the language and culture. If you don't think these are important, it's your loss, but please try not to make the rest of us look too silly. The fact is, while I have seen people live and co-exist without learning/knowing anything for a year or more abroad, their experiences are truly limited. These people usually interact with other foreigners most of the time, and spend little time with natives (often just teenagers who want to hang out). They travel in little foreigner pods using English speaking travel agents to make the plans and often struggle on their way (not the kind of learning struggle, but the "this is a pain and I'm going to get angry, complain about it, and not enjoy my trip" kind). Learn some of the language, make some real native friends (not just kids who think it's cool to be with foreigners), and get some real international experience.
I watched so many foreigners spend all their time with other foreigners, hanging out in foreigner bars, in mainly foreigner areas, etc. If you are going abroad to just experience the foreigners culture in another country: Stay Home!
If you actually want to see the world and learn about the culture, people, and life: Get out there and get out of your comfort zone once in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment