Sunday, November 30, 2014

Arrival in Japan -- Starting up

So, when you arrive in Japan, life is of course different.

After Arriving in Japan, I had to attend a week long training in Okayama. This wasn't entirely a terrible thing since I was able to revisit Okayama Castle and enjoy the sights more than I was able to the last time I was there. However, it meant some things went on hold.

Residence Card
Japan revised it's Foreigner Policies in 2012, so now you will get your Permanent Resident Card at the airport. This is awesome and terrifying. I was so worried, after my 22 hour flight, that they were going to use the picture they took of me after getting off the plane. However, luckily, this was not the case. Instead they used the photo that came with my visa. *phew*
I was handed my card and sent on my way into the KIX airport, which is a really nice airport by the way. If you ever find yourself trapped in the airport for several hours awaiting your ride (like I did), I recommend checking out the airport lounge. You can rent a computer, room, books, bed, or even a SHOWER! Guess which one I did ;). The catch for the shower is that you need lots of hundred yen coins. It's a coin shower... haha. Take your shower pack, rent a towel, stock up on 100yen coins and enjoy the steam!

After my training was finished, I was placed on the shinkansen (bullet train) with my fellow trainees and we were left to make our way across Japan to our patiently waiting managers. By the time I settled into Fuji City, Shizuoka Prefecture, I had a good idea of what I needed.

Hanko
So, what do you need to get started? A bank account, a cell phone, and, in most cases, a hanko (a name stamp). Unless you live in the center of Tokyo, with the main branches of the large banks (or so I've heard), you will need a hanko. A hanko is a name stamp and your official "signature" while in Japan. Like your passport and residence card, it is to be guarded and protected! You may obtain one from a hanko store, where you can order a specialized one with katakana (Japanese alphabet for foreign names/items) or your own choice of kanji if you have it. If you want kanji, you may need to go alone. I heard that many manager's when taking in foreigner's either refuse to let them get one with kanji, or if they do simply tell them to grab a pre-made one off the rack whether or not you know what it says. Keep in mind, the more characters on the stamp, the more expensive it will be, so if you have a long name, I would use an abbreviation or buy pre-made.

Validate Residence Card and Get Insurance
You will also need to visit the local city hall asap. In order to validate your residence card, you need to take your passport with visa, your contract (in some cases), the address where you will be living, and potentially your manager to translate and verify your address. Once they know who you are and where you will be, they will use the ultimate miniscule writing to fill in your address (unless they have a card printer). Once your address is on, you are good. However, if your company isn't providing insurance, you will need to stop by that counter and pick up an insurance card. Take the same items and head on over. This isn't difficult, and they will usually bill you about a month or so later. They send bills that you can pay at the convenience store once they decide your amount based on salary. These are often sent in bulk, so you can pay ahead or just to save them processing time. I usually pay mine a couple months in advance, just in case anything happens, or in case I suddenly don't have money.

Bank Account
Once you have your hanko and your validated Residence Card, you are free to head to the bank! Some school's ask you to use the same bank/branch that they use to avoid/lessen the transfer fees for your salary. So make sure to ask about banks before making an account (not that you can't have more than one, but you need time to set them up). UFJ Mitsubishi and Mizuho are two of the biggest banks in Japan and good to use because you can find ATM's pretty much anywhere while traveling (which is great since this is a cash country).  Small banks aren't a bad thing though and you can usually find/use ATM's at the convenience stores if you're desperate (7-eleven ATM will take most cards, even on holidays).
Keep in mind, on holidays and after 8pm most ATM's will not work!!! Some ATM's will work, but simply charge high fees, some will reject you completely! Keep money on hand!
Mind you, this is mainly if you are using an ATM that is not with the same bank, however, many ATM's are located in the bank lobby and they are closed after 8pm in most places (outside Tokyo especially).

Cell Phone
Okay, so you have a hanko, your validated RC card, and a bank book?! Awesome! Time to get a phone! This is something you may want to research ahead of time. There are three main cell phone companies in Japan: Docomo, SoftBank, and Au. Unless you came over with your family, I would skip Docomo. It isn't really geared toward single people, but more family plans. SoftBank and Au are really the main two to look at. I have heard good and bad things about both companies, but I'm just going to say: GO WITH AU!
So, SoftBank often has a much better selection of phones, and their plans are reasonable, but I wouldn't do it if I were you. I chose Au because it's what my friends use and it's what I used when I came to Japan for the summer of 2007. However, my co-NETs were all using SoftBank and swore it was better. I also met a guy and started dating, but we couldn't call because he also used SoftBank. So I regretted my choice.
So when my friend came to Japan to work I told her that SoftBank was probably the way to go.... I don't know if she will ever forgive me. Both SoftBank and Au will tell you that they have wireless stations, but I don't know anyone who has been able to connect to them when found. Meanwhile, my friend discovered that SoftBank has terrible signal. If you live in a rural area, you may never have working internet or any signal. She couldn't even get 3G/4G most of the time! I mean, Au isn't perfect, but it definitely beats SoftBank in internet connection.

Okay, so, hopefully this blog got you through the worst of your first week. Now you just have to figure out where the nearest grocery store is and how to get to work on time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment