Saturday, June 5, 2010

Korea Life Blog 3


All right, so it's been almost two weeks since I arrived and I still have no idea where most things are. To be more precise, I know I need special bags for my trash, but I have yet to find anywhere that will sell the little food bags. I have also learned not to rely on my hagwon (school) for any useful information. There seems to be an annoying theme to how questions work here:

If I ask the foreign teachers they tell me to ask the VP.
If I ask the VP he tells me to ask the foreign teachers.
If I've already asked one or the other, they direct me to the Korean teachers... none of whom live in the area, so they know nothing of relevance.
Basically, I've been calling on my American friend in Seoul, or my Korean friend in Jeongja (who is a boy and therefore knows nothing--Korean boys are completely dependent on their mothers for life), whenever I have questions. Basically, my friend in Seoul has still been the most useful friend and informant in Korea. I really don't think that only telling her how much I appreciate her at least 3 times every time we talk is enough.
So I will probably be posting more blogs about little things like how to take out the trash and using buses and trains as I go.

I still have yet to finish my TEFL course... sadly. However, I've found that the information from the course is helping me in teaching, and the teaching is helping me with the homework in the course. It's a symbiotic learning experience. Unfortunately, I will need to extend the course if I want to finish.

Today my Seoul friend, Stefanie, is coming down to help me with the bus system so that I can get to and from the local E-Mart. Yay! How sad is it that after two weeks I still haven't found anyone, but my friend in SEOUL, to tell me how to get to the supermarket... yeah.

I've started looking around more. I plan to take some of the free Korean classes of possible. Sadly most of them are in Seoul, but I don't think it will be a problem. I also found out there is a Hagwon to learn Japanese in the building I work at, and another for Chinese down the street. I think I will be able to find things to fill my schedule once I am more comfortable here. :)

In the meantime, I am still looking for the post office... I was given directions and followed them to no avail. Once I do I should be able to send out the trinkets I've bought. I can also send a HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my dear Mugzy-bugz~~~~~ haha. Sorry, it will be late.

In the meantime, I'm just annoyed at my Hagwon for being so useless. They seriously don't tell us anything. They seem to expect us to know all and reprimand us when we do something wrong without knowing. For some reason I am annoyed at being treated like an idiot child just because I can't read their minds to know what they want and what I'm doing wrong. It just makes it hard to get things done in this kind of social environment. I'm surprised Korea doesn't fall apart.

I'm also having trouble communicating to people that I'm still not used to being stared at 24/7, so unless I have an errand, a friend nearby, or some other distraction, I have no interest in going out just to be a circus animal. Yes, I will probably get used to it. No, it hasn't happened yet. Be patient, it's my choice whether I continue to live off convenience store food when there is no one to eat with me. :P

That is all for now. I hope to post some more information blogs soon. Later~

No comments:

Post a Comment