Sunday, June 27, 2010

Korea Life Blog 5 -- Dongnimmun

Yesterday, I decided I needed to get out more. So I got on the train and traveled to the far Northwest side of Seoul. A friend told me of some areas that had more old-fashioned or traditional style buildings, so I wanted to check it out. However, what I found was much different from what I was planning for, but it was an interesting and fulfilling journey.

I went on Line 3 to Dongnimmun (Metro map). From there I was planning on walking to Anguk from there and see many things on the way. Mind you, I saw many things~ but I didn't make it to Anguk the way I planned. :)

At Dongnimmun I was able to see the Independence Memorial Park (Seodaemun Independence Park). It is like a small park, or walk-through museum about the Japanese invasion in Korea and the ways the Japanese tortured the Koreans. It is very interesting with many recreations of events and areas, if a little one-sided.



When I left there, I started walking toward the next stop toward Anguk, but I was distracted by a large mountain... and I decided I wanted to test it out. So I crossed the street and started to make my way through the winding streets and steep inclines. In about an hour, I found myself on a mountain. Around that time, I also realized that I hadn't eaten for more than 24 hours (because I'd forgotten dinner and breakfast and still hadn't had lunch) and I had no water or anything to drink. Basically, my blood sugar was getting low and I was sweaty, miserable, and unwilling to turn around and not reach my goal! However, in another hour, I had to give up and start looking for a way down. Eventually I was somewhat lost, but not totally. There were always the random army boys posted to keep watch around the mountain if I needed them, but I was determined to go it alone.

So, eventually I found a path leading down and took a short break on a large rock overlooking the local town. Then after going off the path, or on a little used path, I came upon an abandoned apartment building that I decided to explore.

However, my findings were rather disturbing to a small town person like me. Even though it's an abandoned building with broken glass and no windows or doors in place... but there in the bottom apartment, someone was still living in it. Not only that, but there were many children's things lying about. Imagining what it is like to grow up there, or to go to school without being able to take friends home....

It bothers me that here in Korea, if it isn't new, it's old, and if it's old, it's no good. My Korean friend lives in a building that was built in 2004-2005. I said it's nice, he said 'No way. It's an old building. I really want to live somewhere new.'
What will happen when this tiny country runs out of space to put their new buildings? Will they finally take down the old abandoned ones and rebuild there? And what will happen to the people who live there?

This is why I hate cities. This is why I am such a country girl, I guess. I know how to make sense about land!

Anyways, I freaked out my friends on accident, by texting that I couldn't hang out with them because I was "lost on a mountain" without thinking. After that, I received a call from a worried friend asking if there was someone nearby I could give the phone to. So when I made it down the mountain, past the abandoned buildings I went into a convenience store and handed the phone to the owner. I was then placed on a bus with great care as the man told the driver that I was a lost person who needed to get to the subway. I was then dropped off at the stop near the subway, where the bus driver proceeded to honk for my attention and point me to the right entrance. They were all very nice and helpful, and it made me feel guilty that I had troubled them. However, it's always nice to find good people who are so willing to go out of their way to help a crazy “lost” foreigner.

So, in the end, it was an adventure and a good learning experience.

1 comment:

  1. I became your blog's reader ;P
    がんばれ!
    きみ

    ReplyDelete