Sunday, June 20, 2010

Korea Life Blog 4 -- Cell Phone!

I meant to write this sooner, but a friend was having a crisis... and now many people are talking to me, so let's see what we get.

So where to begin? Starting from the last post: I still haven't made it to the post office, mainly because I was running out of money, but I know where it is now. Since my school has FINALLY paid me back for the ticket (which is a whole different area of problems) I should be able to make it there this week. I also found the 'special' trash bags that I need after trying out about 6 different convenience stores. Stefanie helped me, and the first one she walked into had them. It was so small I didn't see it before. haha.
I had to pay $100 to extend my TEFL, but now I have another 3 months, so it should be no problem. I'm getting used not being able to rely on my work. My co-workers are nice, but they have been so busy and stressed about their own work.
I visited the Japanese Hagwon, and went for my "free" class ^^. It was hard! haha. Because the default language is Korean and I don't understand it, I couldn't quite keep up. So I will study my Japanese more before I go back. But they were really nice and I really want to study there.
I also found the closest place for the 'free' Korean classes.... but I can't make it to the class for beginners because I work too late on those days. So I need to find another one.

I am finally starting to adjust to things here... I think. Some things are just too difficult, but maybe I can learn to ignore them... or I'll pretend to and then talk about it on here! haha

I am still annoyed by people who just stare me down wherever I go. I also get annoyed when my friends... I know they mean well... but they tell me that I'll get used to it, or worse "It didn't happen. Just ignore everything." I wish I could sometimes. But I don't want to close my eyes to the great things I can find just because there are a few (or many) idiots who think I am an escaped zoo creature. It actually bothers me more when they tell me to ignore it though. One day I was walking with two of my Korean friends. This old man was walking by and staring at me with his eyes wide open... he almost ran into one of my friends and he even craned his body to keep staring at me as he went around my friend. I asked "did you see that?" knowing there was no way to miss it... but no. This is Korea, so "it didn't happen". They tried to convince me they saw nothing.... It's too much. Another friend tried to tell me that "Koreans are shy". They aren't used to making eye contact, so they will be embarrassed if I look at them while they stare at me.... No way! They are not embarrassed at all. From the old people to the middle school kids (the younger ones too, but let's say they don't know any better) they will stare you down. O_O
However, I have had one person actually smile at me—a genuine smile. I was so happy. I smiled back and even remembered to say hello in Korean. :)
Also, the day of the Korea World Cup game, I wore a Korean jersey and had a Korean logo painted on my face.... Many people smiled at me that day! Some people said 'Hello' or 'Korea fighting!' to me. It was nice to "fit in" for once~ haha.

You also have to get used to the fact that you are a foreigner
. So many things are difficult. I finally got a bank account, and my bank card. And once my school reimbursed my ticket, I was able to get a phone. However, it is another feat. My co-worker was going to take me to where she got her phone, because the owner speaks English... but since the world cup is happening, she was too tired after staying up to watch the European teams play. So she gave me directions... very vague ones, and I went to look. I found only one store that I decided could have been it and went in.... yeah. I stood there for 20 minutes. They helped the people who came in at the same time as me; they helped the people who came in after me.... I was annoyed. After 20 minutes he must have decided I wasn't leaving, because he looked at me for the first time and said something in Korean that may have been 'I’ll help you next' or 'what do you need' from his intonation. Then he turned back to the other people... I left.

I went to meet some Korean friends of mine though and they helped me to find a good free phone and get a 2 year plan with SK. So I am all set. It's not the I-phone, but it's a nice phone, and free so I can't complain!

There is always more to come, but now I must sleep. Tomorrow is a long day, so I need to be well rested.
I really will try to get some more useful posts up soon, now that my stress level has gone down.

No comments:

Post a Comment