Saturday, February 28, 2015

My plan for 2015

So, I know I haven't posted much... or anything... of my life in Tokyo. However, I may have time in the not-so-distant future to update more and remedy that.

So, those in my group of family and friends know that I gave notice at my job in January. Not because it is a terrible place, for the most part working there has been great. The director is nice and they can be very accommodating. However, I have no interest in staying in Tokyo.

After moving to Tokyo, I developed eczema on my chin. It basically looks like I have a five o'clock shadow all the time that even make-up (unless quite generously applied and re-applied) won't cover. I have been taking pills twice a day since last August which have cleared up all but the eczema, and have recently started using steroid ointment on it. Since it started when I moved to Tokyo and starts to clear up every time I leave Tokyo, the answer is obvious. With other health issues adding on, I'm just ready to move on. (I guess I should consider myself lucky as a co-worker told me his girlfriend developed warts on her hands, and recently his entire nail just fell off, it could be worse.)

In other news, I will share my evil plotting for the future with you now!

While I gave notice in January, my company is currently expanding.  They have been hiring so many new teachers for new schools and training and.... it's been a bit hectic. They weren't sure when they would have someone to replace me, so I (not having a set plan) offered to stay on a little longer on the terms that I wanted certain evenings off by 6pm to take Japanese classes. So, I will stay at my company until the end of June. However, as my replacement will come, my services aren't really needed all day, but I negotiated to continue a little longer as a part-time worker in place of the assistant they were planning to hire.

Part of my negotiation was to give me time to get my things in order, and part of it was just to give me some time to do what I came to Tokyo for: to study! I will moving out of my apartment at the end of March and into a Share House to save some money. I also plan on taking Japanese classes in the evenings to work on my speaking and prepare for the test. (JLPT in July!)

I have said before that saving money in Japan and having fun cannot be done together. Which may be why I have so little enjoyed my time here, but I did manage to save a little. So I am planning my last trip in Japan for Kyoto. I am planning my time in Kyoto for ( I know... it's a terrible idea, but) the summer. Summers in Kyoto, as you can only really understand if you've experienced it, are miserable to say the least.

My plan in Kyoto is a little more interesting, I think. Last year, I took a trip to a guesthouse with my friend. While there, I noticed a sign that said they offered a "cleaning exchange" to customers. I recently looked more into this matter and found out that, if you can guarantee to work for 2+ months, you can work (4 hours of cleaning a day) for free accommodation. If you are interested in coming to Japan long-term, this is something to look into. I have actually seen this offer at many hostels. However, I had no idea you could do it in a more upscale guesthouse.

So, my plan in Kyoto is to work to live, in a different sense. It gives me time to study through the worst weather, make new friends (potentially), meet old friends, explore, and relax.
I know it may be a bad idea or a waste of money, but when I think about it.... I've just wanted a break for so long, and this is a nice way to get one without just being idle in the countryside. I can be semi-idle in Kyoto!

So there it is... my tentative plan. Though the Tokyo part is a little more set. I am going to view my first choice share house tomorrow. *fingers crossed*

No comments:

Post a Comment